Practical Barbel Fishing
|INSIDE:||191 colour photographs|
Barbel fishing has never been more popular. Amongst specialist river anglers the barbel is now the premier fish and, taking coarse fishing as a whole, barbel is second only to carp. The substantial growth in barbel fishing has been accompanied by a great thirst for knowledge about this fascinating species, and books have been published to help both the beginner and the highly advanced barbel angler. This book, however, is aimed at the intermediate level and will be valuable also to the experienced angler who wants to try his hand at barbel fishing.
Practical Barbel Fishing provides sound advice about how to catch barbel of a variety of sizes in different kinds of rivers. It is easy to follow and understand, full of top tips and always recognizes that fishing should be fun.
Topics covered include:
- Discusses the general behaviour of barbel and their feeding habits
- Presents in-depth advice on equipment and on how to choose the best rods, reels and accessories
- Analyses how to choose the right waters and pick the most productive swims
- Provides detailed information about choosing and using baits
- Considers the mechanics of how rigs work and how to make basic and more advanced rigs
- Includes full explanations of various techniques, including fishing in extreme conditions, swimfeeder and float fishing, back-leading, roving, upstream legering and much more
- Examines bite indication, touch legering, playing, landing, weighing, photographing and caring for barbel
- Covers how to prepare for longer sessions, night fishing, pre-baiting and baiting strategies
"Each chapter has been well thought out with some great tips and sound barbel fishing advice. Along with this there are around 190 excellent photographs. All this made the reading experience very enjoyable. It must have taken a great deal of work and research to produce this quality book, though I am not surprised given Graham's vast experience of many years of fishing and writing, so if you're only just starting out on your barbel fishing career or a seasoned pro, I have no hesitation in recommending this book to all barbel anglers. I thoroughly enjoyed it."
Review Type: Press
Reviewed By: Barbel Fisher
"Now this super book reveals all in chapters such as: About Barbel; The Approach to Catching Barbel; Barbel Waters and Finding Productive Swims; Feeding and Baits; Tackle: Rods, Reels and Lines; Tackle: Other Gear; Bite Detection and Playing Barbel, and lots more besides. It is highly illustrated, with many excellent photos, on glossy paper that feels good to the touch. The real enthusiasts, the authors tell us, are out there even in the winter, when they say it can be pretty tough, and that the angler has to expect blank days. "
Review Type: Press
Reviewed By: SidsJournal.com